The day they got married!
The time has come to blog of many things, notably the best day ever! The day Jim and I tied the knot.
It was the happiest day of our lives. I don’t think I’ve ever smiled so much. We had around 120 guests throughout the day we had one guest from Australia, another from New Zealand and a couple from Thailand and Oman as well as from across the UK.
My mum made a lot of bunting and my family helped make paper pompoms to decorate the Great Hall at Caerphilly and it looked spectacular on the day.
Jim wore a blue three-piece suit from Moss Bros with a pink tie we bought in Luang Prabang, Laos over Christmas.
I wore a buttercream gown by Phase Eight which I bought from Pritchard and Moore (The Cancer Research wedding boutique) in Whitchurch. My something borrowed was a pair of sparkly Jimmy Choos from aunt Susan, which she wore to her wedding in December. I also wore my mum’s veil from her wedding nearly 40 years ago.
I was like a five-year-old on Christmas morning – only more so. I stayed the night at bride HQ (my parents house) and woke up before 5am! I started grinning then and did not stop all day.
The only moment I was nervous was right before we walked into the Great Hall. I thought ‘Oh God there’s all these people!’ the harp began to play and my bridesmaids began to walk in.
As I walked, arm-in-arm with my dad, down into the hall I caught the eye of my soon-to-be husband. Other than looking absolutely drop dead gorgeous, he smiled and whispered ‘wow!’ at that point all my nerves vanished and all I could see was him. My fluttering heart was beating furiously and my dad had to slow me down as I half ran down the aisle to my amazing Mr Richmond.
The ceremony was perfect. We had three readings – I think Jen had half the congregation in tears when she read the final one from Neil Gaiman’s Stardust. We had two brilliant registrars and dozens of our friends and family there supporting us. Out hands were hot and sweaty with all the emotion. I don’t think I’ve ever felt so excited and when it was all over (in a bit of whirl) the grin on my face would have put the Cheshire Cat to shame.
The rest of the day was an epic party, beers and picnic blankets in the castle grounds. Photos with dragons and ceilidh dancing. There were glitches – but they made the day even more epic. Like the moment we realised no one had wine in their glasses for the first toast (that was quickly fixed!) and the inevitable running about 15 mins late on everything!
When people say your wedding day is the happiest day of your life, they’re not exaggerating. It is amazing! If over all too quickly. But ever since the 14 July I’ve had a reason to smile. I’m married to my soulmate and best friend. I have my happy ever after. Fairytales do come true.
Here’s some of the details!
- The venue: Caerphilly Castle, Caerphilly
- The date: Friday 14 July 2017
- The budget: c £11,000
- Wedding dress: Pritchard and Moore, Whitchurch
- Groom’s Suit: Moss Bros
- Hair and make-up: Velvet Rose make-up and SFX
- Flowers: Lily Barton from Lily Violet May Florists, Bristol
- Car: I Doo Wedding Cars
- Stationary and invites: design by Alison Davies, printing by Ravenstat
- The registrars: Christine Hughes and Mariwen Dunn
- Best men: Chris and Dave Richmond
- Ushers: Jonathan and William Richmond
- Maid of Honour: Clare Lutwyche-Loveday
- Flowergirl: Emily Parrott
- Bridesmaids: Jennifer Richmond, Daisy Richmond, Suraya Jina and Sarah Russell
- Our witnesses: Christine Lutwyche (my mum) and Elizabeth Richmond (Jim’s mum)
- Readings: Chris Richmond, Jen Richmond, Helen Lutwyche and Emma Lacey-Williams
- Rings: Jonathan Edwards
- Photographer: Ben Pruchnie
- Ceremony music: Sam Hickman on harp
- Reception music: Cat’s Claw – with Mic Spencerley as caller
- Food: Paternoster Farm
- Cake: Ornella-Bianca
- Charity wedding favour cards: Bipolar UK
- Bar manager and steward: Steve Walsh
- Beer: Otley Brewery
- Honourable mentions for general awesomeness: Becky Evans for table decorations; Emma Lacey-Williams, Helen Lutwyche and James Loveday for decorating the venue; Susan Rawlinson for my awesome something borrowed!!! All our guests for making it an amazing day! And Jim for saying ‘I do’!