All the protein! Cockles and black pudding
This is a simple, high protein dish. Its tasty and a great opportunity to talk about the seasonality of shellfish and seafood.
What you’ll need (to feed up to a dozen):
- Three large onions
- 1kg of shelled cockles (we got our from Snowden’s Wholesale in Cardiff)
- One large, traditional black pudding (we got our from Cardiff’s Indoor Market)
- Black pepper (or even better grains of paradise)
- Half a block of lard
- Chop the onions
- Fry the onions in the lard until they begin to caramalise
- Slice and peel the black pudding.
- Add the black pudding into the pan with the onions. Cook until the colour begind to darken and the black pudding becomes more crisp
- Finally, add the shelled cockles and pepper
- Fry for approx five minutes, stirring the mix as you go
Voila – you’re ready to serve! We had ours with laverbread (a Welsh seaweed dish) and bread.