This is a simple one… though much simpler if there’s a battery in your kitchen scales.
- Apples – lots of them, mixed varieties from my parents garden. Approx 1kg.
- 1 litre of apple cider vinegar
- A lot of demerra sugar.Approx 1kg
- 300 grams of mixed sultanas and raisins.
- Four red onions
- Four normal onions
- Smoked sweet paprika
- A pinch of black pepper
- Partially caramelise the onions. Add in some smoked sweet paprika and cinnamon.
- Peel and dice your apples. Chunkier seems to work better.
- Get a large saucepan. Add your ingredients. All of them. Including extra spices.
- Bring slowly to the boil.
- Simmer for an hour. Stir as required.
- Strain off any excess fluid.
- Place chutney in to sterilised Kilner jars.
- Store for three weeks in a cool dark cupboard (not a fridge!)
I’ll let you know how it tastes in three weeks!